Chicken Milanese with Tomato and Mozzarella represents all of the things I love, rolled into one cohesive dish. Air fried chicken cutlets, topped with a delicious salad of cherry tomatoes, red onion, fresh mozzarella, basil and balsamic vinegar. Topped with a drizzle of sweet balsamic glaze, each bite is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
What is Chicken Milanese?
Traditionally, Milanese is a way of preparing meat. It’s taking chicken or veal cutlet, for instance, pounding it thin, and then breading it and pan frying it in oil.
Over time, like many other Italian-based dishes, the name evolved to mean something else. Now, if you go to an Italian restaurant and order Milanese, you can expect to get a breaded, pan-fried cutlet, topped with some sort of salad.
I grew up with Chicken Milanese meaning a breaded chicken cutlet topped with a bruschetta-like mixture: tomato, onion, mozzarella, basil, and balsamic vinegar.
Over time, I recreated my recipe to make it lightened-up by air frying my cutlets.
What you’ll need to make Chicken Milanese with Tomato and Mozzarella
Below is the ingredient list for chicken milanese. This includes the items you’ll need to prepare the air fried chicken cutlets.
- chicken breast, thin sliced into 6 pieces
- egg whites
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion
- fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil
- kosher salt
- balsamic vinegar
- balsamic glaze
How to Make Chicken Milanese
First, make my air fryer chicken cutlets. You can grab that recipe here: AIR FRIED CHICKEN CUTLETS
When they are done, they will look like this.
Next, grab a small bowl to mix together the ingredients for the topping.
Half the cherry tomatoes and finely dice the red onion. Chop the mozzarella and the basil. Add everything to the bowl, and stir to combine. Add the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
When the chicken cutlets are done, pour the tomato mixture over the cutlets. Top with the balsamic glaze. The brand of balsamic glaze I use is this one. I find this in the supermarket where they sell the oil and vinegar.
And that’s it! Since this meal is packed with protein and veggies, it’s really a whole meal on its own. But when paired with roasted potatoes, this becomes a really well-balanced meal.
Chicken Milanese with Tomato and Mozzarella
- air fryer
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast thin sliced, 6 pieces
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- Make the air fried chicken cutlets (see link in the text for the recipe).
- Arrange the arugula on a platter.
- Top with the chicken cutlets.
- Half the tomatoes, dice the onions, chop the basil and mozzarella. Add them all to a small bowl, along with the kosher salt and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Pour the tomato mixture on top of the chicken cutlets.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- 2 WW points each (blue and purple plans)
- 3 WW points for 1 piece, 4 points for 2 pieces (green plan)