This one pot pasta dish has it all: pasta, cheese, and even delicious, tender cooked chicken breast. This is truly an all-in-one meal, and everything is made in one pot, which makes for easy clean up. For busy weeknights when you are looking for a meal that is healthy but also appeals to the entire family, this one pot healthy chicken parm pasta is a no-brainer!
What you will need to make this recipe
Here is the ingredient list for this recipe; keep in mind, this is all made in one pot! It couldn’t be simpler to throw together. You can use whole wheat pasta, or make any other substitutions you wish.
- chicken breast
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- olive oil spray
- garlic cloves
- canned crushed tomatoes
- canned diced tomatoes
- reduced-sodium chicken broth
- It’s important to use reduced sodium broth here, so you can control the sodium level when you add the seasonings later on. If you use regular broth, this dish might be overly salty.
- white wine
- I use a dry white wine. It adds a great flavor; but you can omit it, if you would rather cook without wine.
- tomato paste
- dry pasta
- I used this one, from Barilla. I like the shape of the Penne for this dish.
- light or reduced-fat mozzarella
- fresh parsley
How to make one pot healthy chicken parm pasta
So as I mentioned, this really all does cook in only one pot. Less dishes! It does take a few steps though, but you won’t even need a separate pot to boil water and cook the pasta.
Start out by chopping your chicken into bite-sized pieces. Next, combine 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt, 1 tsp of the garlic powder, the onion powder, and the oregano to form your spice blend for the chicken. Sprinkle the spice blend on the chicken, and toss to coat all the pieces.
Preheat your large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil spray, and then cook your chicken in batches.
Cooking the chicken
It is imperative to cook the chicken in two batches here; this helps the chicken form a golden brown color on the outside, and prevents it from steaming. Cook the first batch for a couple of minutes per side, and then flip them to cook the other side. At this point, the chicken will not be cooked through. Remove the first batch from the pot, set it aside, and repeat the steps for the second batch.
Making the sauce and cooking the pasta
Once the chicken is partially cooked, add more olive oil spray to the pot, and then add the chopped onion. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes or until it is tender. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, and tomato paste to the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Now, the magic happens! Add the dry, uncooked pasta, and the chicken back to the pot. Cover the pot, and reduce the heat to allow the liquid to simmer. Cook the pasta for about 15 minutes, or until it is tender. Then, add the remaining salt and garlic powder, followed by the cheese and parsley.
Stir everything together, and enjoy a heaping 1.5 cup serving!
One Pot Healthy Chicken Parm Pasta
- large pot or Dutch oven
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast, raw, cubed
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder
- olive oil spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 16 oz pasta, dry, 1 box; used: Barilla Penne
- 4 oz light mozzarella
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh
- Cube the chicken.
- Combine 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp oregano. Sprinkle it on the cubed chicken and toss to coat.
- Preheat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil spray to the pot.
- Sear the chicken in two batches to not overcrowd (this prevents the chicken from steaming). Cook each batch of chicken for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden (it will not be cooked through yet).
- Remove the first batch of chicken from the pot and set aside in a bowl. Add more olive oil spray to the pot, and cook the second batch of chicken.
- Remove the second batch of chicken and set aside.
- In the same pot, add more olive oil spray and add the chopped onion.
- Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with their juices, chicken stock, white wine, and tomato paste.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, and then add the dry pasta and the pre-cooked chicken. Stir to submerge the ingredients in the liquid.
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the additional 1 tsp of salt and the additional 1/2 tsp of garlic.
- Stir in the cheese and fresh parsley.
- 9 WW points (green plan)
- 7 WW points (blue plan)
- 1 WW point (purple plan) - if you use whole wheat pasta
You might also enjoy these one pot pasta dishes: