Looking for the perfect, year round summer side salad? This sweet and savory shaved Brussels sprouts salad is absolutely delicious and is sure to hit the spot. Perfect for meal prep, this salad gets even better as it sits in the fridge and the dressing soaks into the Brussels sprouts. Flecked with sweet notes from dried cranberries and diced apples, and given a lovely texture from crunchy pecans and pumpkin seeds, this salad is anything but boring. The creamy maple honey mustard dressing is the perfect finishing touch to this delicious salad.
What you’ll need to make this sweet and savory shaved brussels sprouts salad
- brussels sprouts
- I used two 12-oz bags for this recipe to make it easier
- red onion
- I used Fuji apples here (two small ones) but any sweet apple will do
- pumpkin seeds
- dried cranberries
- chopped pecans
- plain non-fat yogurt
- to keep this recipe dairy free, use a cashew based yogurt like this one: Organic Unsweetened Plain Cashewmilk Yogurt | Forager Project
- maple syrup
- I recommend using pure, organic maple syrup. This ingredient is key to this recipe to making the dressing sweet and delicious; sugar free maple syrup won’t be quite the same.
- You can also use honey instead of maple syrup for sweetness.
- honey mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
The perfect easy side dish or meal prep for the week
This recipe makes for the perfect quick side dish or meal prep because it requires NO cooking whatsoever! The only work here involves some prep work (chopping) and then simply combining everything together in a large mixing bowl with the delicious, creamy dressing. The best part is that as this salad sits in the fridge, it actually gets better with time, rather than becoming soggy over time. Since the brussels sprouts are so fibrous and firm, they slowly soak in the delicious creamy dressing as the days go on, and develop the most delicious flavor.
To serve this for meal prep, I recommend pairing this dish with a simple grilled chicken or other protein of choice. Even some rotisserie chicken would work well here. When you are looking for something super simple for meal prep on those hot summer days, this is the perfect solution.
How to make this shaved brussels sprouts salad
This is beyond easy in terms of preparation: it just takes a little bit of chopping! Slice the brussels sprouts so that they resemble a slaw. It’s ok if some loose leaves remain, that will add to the delicious texture and crunch of this salad. Dice up the red onion and apple, and add them to the bowl with the brussels sprouts.
Add the dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and pecans to the bowl. Combine the dressing components in a small bowl, and pour the dressing on top of the salad. Toss to combine and enjoy!
Sweet and Savory Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- large mixing bowl
- 24 oz brussels sprouts, I used two 12 oz bags
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1.5 cups apples, diced, 2 small apples or 1 medium apple
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
Maple Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt, I used: Dairy Free cashew yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Thinly slice the Brussels sprouts to create a slaw-like texture.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to large mixing bowl.
- Dice the red onion and the apples, and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add the dried cranberries, pecans, and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad components. Toss to combine.
If you love brussels sprouts, you will love these recipes: