When it comes to putting out easy meals for the whole family to enjoy, sheet pan meals are a great option. They are easy and hassle-free, everything cooks at the same time, and the clean up is a breeze. This Sheet Pan Italian Chicken and Vegetables is bursting with flavor, and a perfect light and healthy family dinner.
Why is everyone into sheet pan meals?
I guess the question is… why not?! They are beyond easy to prepare. I think next to crock pot meals, sheet pan meals are the easiest ones to prepare, especially on busy nights. Simply throw everything onto the sheet pan, and bake. Everything cooks at the same time, and sheet pan meals are so versatile. One of my go-to sheet pan meals is my Sheet Pan Sausage, Peppers and Onions. It’s a fool-proof recipe, and is a crowd-pleaser.
I also love sheet pan meals for those nights when you just don’t feel like standing at the stove. Once you throw this pan into the oven, you’re done. The cleanup couldn’t be easier, too. Here, I use parchment paper on top of the sheet pan to make cleanup even easier. There’s nothing worse than finishing a delicious dinner, just to turn around and see a sink full of pots and pans. Here, it’s one and done… one sheet pan to wash, and that’s it!
This also makes the easiest meal prep lunch ever. It cooks for a total of 25 minutes, and you’ve got lunch for four days.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
Here’s the ingredient list… don’t panic. You definitely have a bunch of this stuff on hand already, especially the seasonings and marinade ingredients. You’ll probably only have to head to the store for the chicken and fresh vegetables!
- chicken breast tenderloins, or chicken breast
- here’s a video on how to remove the tendon from chicken breast tenderloins easily and efficiently
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
For the chicken marinade, you’ll need:
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
How to make sheet pan Italian chicken and vegetables
First, preheat your oven to 425F.
Line the baking sheet with parchment paper (this is optional, but makes for super easy clean up). Parchment paper just helps with the cooking process, and ensures that the veggies won’t stick to the sheet pan.
Next, spray the parchment paper with olive oil spray.
To prep the vegetables, slice the zucchini lengthwise, and then cut them in half lengthwise again. Then, chop them into bite sized pieces. Chop the onion. Pour the cubed zucchini and onion onto the sprayed sheet pan. Add the cherry tomatoes. Spray the vegetables with olive oil spray, and season with 1.5 tsp of kosher salt. Slice the lemon that was zested and juiced, and place the slices on top.
Next, combine the marinade ingredients, and then toss the chicken in it. Then, add the chicken and all of the marinade to the top of the vegetables.
Roast everything for 25 minutes. That’s it!
How to serve this dish
Sheet pan Italian chicken and vegetables is great as-is, but can also be paired with rice or potatoes to bulk it up a bit. It also makes a great meal prep.
The serving size for this dish is 1 heaping cup of vegetables, and 1/4 of the total chicken. It depends on how many pieces of chicken you use, but when I made it, this equated to 2 1/2 chicken tenders.
Sheet Pan Italian Chicken and Vegetables
- mixing bowl
- sheet pan
Chicken and Marinade
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast tenderloins or chicken breast cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 2 zucchini medium
- 2 red onions medium
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise, and then cut those pieces in half lengthwise. Then, chop the zucchini into bite sized pieces.
- Chop the red onion.
- Spray the parchment paper with olive oil spray.
- Dump the chopped zucchini, chopped red onion, and cherry tomatoes onto the sheet pan.
- Spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with the 1.5 tsp kosher salt.
- If using chicken breast tenderloins, remove the tendon from the center. If using chicken breast, slice the breast into tender-sized pieces (approximately 9-10 pieces).
- In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, zest of the lemon, juice of the lemon, minced garlic, and spices. Whisk together.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Add the chicken to the top of the vegetables on the sheet pan, and pour the extra marinade on top.
- Roast for 25 minutes.
- Once done, pour the residual juices on top of each serving. There's tons of flavor there!
- 4 WW points per serving (green plan)
- 2 WW points per serving (blue and purple plans)
Try this sheet pan meal next: