If you are looking for a fun and easy chicken recipe with minimal ingredients, this is it. You probably also have all of the ingredients on hand already! Delicious and kid-approved, sour cream and onion chicken tenders are the perfect easy meal to prepare for the family. Chicken tenders are coated in flavorful onion mix and crispy panko; dipped into sour cream with some fresh scallions, and you’ve got all the flavors of sour cream and onion dip in a chicken dish.
All about onion soup mix
I think packaged onion soup mix is delicious, although I never use it to actually make onion soup. When mixed with sour cream, it makes the most delicious dip for potato chips, pretzels, and raw veggies. Because the onion soup packet is so flavorful, I thought it would make a delicious coating on some chicken tenders. It’s a great way to add tons of flavor to a dish, without adding a bunch of ingredients.
The main ingredients in onion soup mix are: bouillon, dehydrated (minced) onion, onion powder, and salt. You can probably create your own at home, but opening the packet is even easier. Plus, a box of onion soup mix is so inexpensive, so that’s a plus.
There are lots of different onion soup mixes on the market, and any one will work fine here! Whatever you have on hand will work beautifully, and I encourage you to use your imagination and make this recipe your own.
In order to stretch the onion soup mix out, I combined it with some panko breadcrumbs. They add delicious crunch without changing the flavor or texture of the onion soup mix.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
So you won’t need much! I know I say that pretty often, but I really mean it. You most likely have a lot of these ingredients at home already!
- chicken breast
- onion soup mix
- panko breadcrumbs (plain, unseasoned)
- egg whites (you can use whole eggs also)
- cooking spray
- sour cream
You can make your own onion soup mix if you prefer. You can also use chicken breast tenderloins if you prefer, since we will be cutting the chicken into tenders anyway.
How to make sour cream and onion chicken
You can make this recipe in the air fryer, or in your oven. The recipe card includes instructions for both methods.
To prep the chicken, cut the chicken breast into tenders. If you are using tenderloins already, remove the tendon. Here is a video on how to remove the tendon quickly and easily.
Pour the egg whites into a shallow bowl, and then pour the onion soup mix and panko into another bowl, and mix them together.
Then, simply dip each tender into the egg whites, followed by the breading mixture.
Air Fryer Method
Spray the basket of the air fryer with cooking spray and add the breaded chicken pieces. Spray the tops with more cooking spray. Air fry at 385 for 15 minutes. Halfway through, flip the tenders and spray the other side. (Work in two batches to not overcrowd the tenders).
Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Spray the rack with cooking spray, and lay the breaded tenders on top. Spray the tops with cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes; after 10 minutes, flip the pieces and spray the other side.
For both methods, the chicken should be flipped and sprayed again halfway through the cooking process. This ensures that the chicken gets browned and crispy on both sides.
For a super simple dipping sauce, just add some chopped scallions to sour cream. When paired with the chicken, it tastes just like sour cream and onion dip.
Sour Cream and Onion Chicken Tenders
- air fryer or sheet pan fitted with wire rack
- 1.5 lb chicken breast, trimmed into 12 tenders
- 1 packet onion soup mix, I used: Lipton, equivalent to 1/4 cup of mix per packet
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, plain, unseasoned
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Slice the chicken breast into 12 chicken tender-size pieces.
- If using an air fryer, preheat at 385F. If using the oven, preheat at 450F.
- Pour the egg whites into a shallow bowl.
- Combine the soup mix packet with the panko breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each tender into the egg white, followed by the breading.
- Air Fryer Method: Spray the basket of the air fryer with cooking spray and add the breaded chicken pieces. Spray the tops with more cooking spray. Air fry at 385 for 15 minutes. Halfway through, flip the tenders and spray the other side. (Work in two batches to not overcrowd the tenders).
- Convection Bake Method: Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Spray the rack with cooking spray, and lay the breaded tenders on top. Spray the tops with cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes; after 10 minutes, flip the pieces and spray the other side.
- Top the sour cream with the fresh scallions for dipping.
- Green Plan (with sour cream):
- 1 point for 1 tender with sour cream
- 3 points for 2 tenders with sour cream
- 4 points for 3 tenders with sour cream
- Green Plan (without sour cream):
- 1 point per tender
- Blue and Purple Plans (with sour cream):
- 1 point per tender with sour cream
- Blue and Purple Plans (without sour cream):
- 1 point for up to 2 tenders
- 2 points for up to 4 tenders
Here are some other easy chicken tender recipes: