These lightened up lobster rolls are like summer on a plate. Lump lobster meat is mixed with chopped celery and scallions and tossed in a mayo-based sauce, then served on top of delicious potato buns. Served along some fries, these make for an easy but delicious lunch or dinner. You won’t realize there’s anything “light” about these.
What you’ll need to make Lightened-Up Lobster Rolls
Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make this dish:
- lobster meat (you can also use shrimp for this and it turns out perfectly!)
- I used the lobster meat from Butcher Box and it was delicious!
- light butter
- light mayo
- lemon juice
- red wine vinegar
- kosher salt
To assemble the sandwiches, you’ll also need:
- long potato rolls
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- spray butter (optional)
How to make Lightened-Up Lobster Rolls
This recipe could not be easier.
I know what you’re thinking… “she always says that!”
But no, really. The only “cooking” involved is boiling the lobster (or shrimp). Otherwise, you are just adding the dressing ingredients together and combining everything.
This makes for the perfect easy family meal, but it’s also far from your standard, boring dinner! So let’s get to cooking.
Cooking the Lobster
First, add some water to a small saucepan, along with the light butter. We are going to do something called “butter poaching,” but in reality, it’s just boiling the lobster in some water that has butter in it!
Bring the liquid to a boil, and then add the lobster. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the lobster is firm and fully cooked. Then strain the lobster meat and set aside!
Making the dressing
While the lobster is cooking, mix the dressing ingredients together at the bottom of a mixing bowl.
You can also take this time to toast up your potato rolls, if you desire. I spray mine with some spray butter and then toast them in a frying pan, cut side down. Or, you can skip this altogether! Place some of the shredded iceberg lettuce on the buns.
Next, add the cooked lobster to the dressing and toss it gently.
Then, just assemble your sandwiches. I like to serve them with some crispy oven fries!
Lightened-Up Lobster Rolls
- sauce pan
- mixing bowl
The Lobster (or Shrimp)
- 1 lb lobster meat, or shrimp, raw, peeled, deveined
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 long potato rolls, like Martin's brand
- spray butter, optional, for buns
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Add a couple of inches of water to a small saucepan. Add the light butter.
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the lobster meat (or shrimp).
- Boil for 5 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from the water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dressing ingredients with a whisk.
- Toss in the cooked lobster (or shrimp).
- Spray the buns with spray butter or olive oil spray and toast in a frying pan over medium low heat.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded iceberg to each sandwich followed by the lobster (or shrimp) salad.
- 8 WW points (green plan)
- 6 WW points (blue and purple plans)