Inspired by my favorite store-bought breakfast chicken sausages, my Homemade Maple Chicken Sausage Patties are flavorful, protein-packed, and made with real, clean ingredients. These Maple Chicken Sausage Patties are a great way to save money and build your freezer stash. Pair with pancakes, eggs, fruit, or potatoes for a well-rounded breakfast. Or, you can use these sausage patties as part of a delicious breakfast sandwich. Trust me on this one–you won’t be sorry you made this fun recipe!
Why should I make my own sausage patties?
You might be wondering why on earth you would ever make your own sausage patties, and it definitely sounds more intimidating than it is. I admit, I was skeptical too. Making your own sausage patties at home is simple & easy! It’s as easy as making your own burgers, and its also a great way to save money and build your freezer stash.
This recipe is inspired by my favorite store-bought chicken maple breakfast sausages. I was able to create this recipe using clean, minimal ingredients that I can feel great about eating. Even the healthiest store-bought food still involves minimal “processing”. These chicken sausage patties don’t require a lot of time to make. If I can dedicate a small part of my day to meal prepping to have food on hand that’s healthy, not processed, and cheaper than what I would grab in the store–then it’s worth it to me!
What do I need to make these Homemade Maple Chicken Sausage Patties?
The ingredients for this recipe couldn’t be more simple. We’ll be using pantry-staple seasonings and just a few other ingredients you might even have on-hand.
- Chicken breast
- You may also opt to buy ground chicken. However, as long as you have a food processor it’s extremely easy (and cheaper!) to make your own ground chicken at home.
- Poultry seasoning
- Poultry seasoning is a flavorful combination of sage, marjoram, and rosemary with other spices. It is warm, earthy and reminiscent of Thanksgiving flavors. It is the perfect compliment to these breakfast sausages.
- Just a hint of cinnamon adds warmth and depth of flavor to these sausages, and compliments the maple syrup flavor throughout the meat.
- Garlic powder
- Rubbed sage
- Rubbed sage is dried sage, but not ground. It is created by rubbing dried whole sage leaves and it creates a light and fluffy texture.
- Kosher salt
- Real maple syrup
- This is the main ingredient in this dish when it comes to flavor; do not use sugar free syrup, and do not use pancake syrup. These ingredients have totally different flavors than real maple syrup, and will not compliment the dish or flavor it correctly. And since each sausage patty is under 70 calories and 4g of sugar, it is worth it to use the real deal anyway!
- Olive oil
How do I make these Homemade Maple Chicken Sausage Patties?
Start by grinding the chicken breast in a food processor to create ground chicken. You may be hesitant of this and opt to buy ground chicken breast, but I recommend trying this method out. It’s simple and less expensive than buying ground chicken at the store!
Combine the other ingredients and mix into the ground meat. Form into 12 equal sized balls.
Preheat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil spray to the pan.
Add six balls to the pan and press down with your fingers to create patties. Note: the mixture will feel sticky so I recommend wetting your fingers to avoid sticking. The shape will not be perfect either, and that’s ok.
Cook the patties for 2-3 minutes per side, until internal temperature is 165F. Repeat with the remaining meat.
This recipe creates a dozen chicken sausage patties. You can refrigerate them and use within five days, or freeze to use for future use. To use from frozen, simply microwave to defrost.
How can I serve this recipe?
This recipe compliments just about any breakfast perfectly. I recommend making it a well-rounded breakfast by opting to serve with eggs, fruit and potatoes. You can also use these if you are making my Healthy Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches! You may even decide to serve with one of my popular pancake bakes, baked oatmeal, egg bakes or banana breads! Find some of my suggestions below:
- Healthy Fall Breakfast Sandwiches
- Maple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Roll Pancake Bake
- Pumpkin Spice Pancake Bake
Homemade Maple Chicken Sausage Patties
- frying pan
- food processor
- 1 lb chicken breast, use a food processor to grind your own; or you can purchase ground chicken breast.
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, real maple syrup, not sugar free and not pancake syrup
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Grind the chicken breast in a food processor to create ground chicken (or start with ground chicken breast).
- Combine the other ingredients and mix into the ground meat. Form into 12 equal sized balls.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil spray to the pan. Add 6 balls to the pan, and press down with your fingers to create patties (it will be sticky, wet your fingers to avoid sticking).
- Cook the patties for 2-3 minutes per side, flip to finish cooking, until the internal temperature is 165F. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- Refrigerate and use within 5 days, or freeze to use for the future.
- To use from frozen, microwave to defrost.
- 1 WW point for 1 patty
- 3 WW points for 2 patties
Try one of these savory breakfast options!