If you love breaded chicken cutlets and pesto, this one’s for you! This is similar to a traditional chicken cutlet recipe, except the chicken breast is coated in pesto sauce before it is dredged in the breadcrumbs. Still just as easy as making chicken cutlets the traditional way, the pesto here adds a burst of extra flavor instead of using an egg wash as the binder. These healthy baked pesto chicken cutlets are a great way to change up your weeknight dinner routine; serve alongside a starch and a veggie for a complete meal!
All about these healthy baked pesto chicken cutlets
These chicken cutlets are a great twist on the traditional version, but just as easy to make. They are also baked which makes this oil and mess free! The major difference between this dish and traditional chicken cutlets is that instead of dipping the chicken in the egg, we are using pesto instead. Not only does the pesto work as a binder, but it also adds a ton of flavor to this dish. These chicken cutlets have delicious flavor from the pesto, plus great savory flavor and texture from the cheese and breadcrumbs. All in all, it’s a win!
I recommend serving this dish either with pasta and more pesto, or your favorite potato with a vegetable. You can’t go wrong!
What you’ll need to make these healthy baked pesto chicken cutlets
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- I used this one, but any pesto will work: Classic Pesto Sauce
- plain breadcrumbs (gluten free or regular will work fine)
- grated Romano cheese
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- olive oil spray
How to make these chicken cutlets
First, prepare your oven and baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil, and top with a wire rack. Wire racks allow for air to circulate around the chicken pieces to get them nice and crispy in the oven. Next, prepare the dredging station: in one bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, cheese, onion powder and garlic powder. In the other bowl, add the pesto.
Cut the chicken breast into six thinner slices. Coat each piece of chicken with the pesto, and then dredge the coated chicken pieces in the breadcrumb mixture. Spray the wire rack with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray liberally. Arrange the coated chicken pieces on the wire rack, and then spray with more cooking spray or olive oil spray.
Bake the chicken for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
Healthy Baked Pesto Chicken Cutlets
- baking sheet
- wire rack
- bowls for dredging
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into 6 thinner pieces
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 2 oz plain breadcrumbs, gluten free or regular
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- olive oil spray or non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and then top with the wire rack.
- Spray the wire rack with cooking spray liberally.
- In the meantime, prepare the dredging station.
- In one bowl, add the pesto. In another bowl, add the breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Cut the chicken breast into six thinner pieces.
- Coat the chicken pieces into pesto. Then dip the coated pieces into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the breaded cutlets on the wire rack, and spray them again with more non-stick spray.
- Bake the cutlets for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
If you are a fan of pesto, you can also try these recipes using my homemade pesto sauce: