Swap out the tortillas for a bun, and change up taco night with these taco burgers. All the classic flavors of your favorite boxed tacos, but transformed into a burger. Serve this flavorful burger on a bun, or serve it bun-less with all the fixings or over a bed of mixed greens, for the ultimate taco salad. The options are endless. If you like burgers and tacos, you’ll love this recipe for Taco Burgers with Pico de Gallo.
All about these taco burgers with pico de gallo
These burgers are made with extra lean ground beef, and flavored with taco seasoning, which creates the perfect base for a taco burger. They are topped with Mexican blend cheese, and a flavorful dressing made with one part sour cream and one part salsa verde. The final topping is a fresh pico de gallo, but guacamole would be delicious with this recipe, too.
These burgers are delicious with or without a bun. They would also be delicious over a bed of greens for the ultimate taco salad. You can make these burgers your own: add beans, corn, avocado, or any other ingredients of your choice.
What you will need to make taco burgers with pico de gallo
- extra lean ground beef
- You can find this cut of beef at Trader Joe’s, Aldi, or some regular supermarkets.
- I love using extra lean 96/4 ground beef because it’s real ground beef, but super lean. It is low in calories and fat, which makes it very easy to work with macro-wise and point-wise.
- You can also use turkey or chicken ground meat if you prefer those flavors.
- packet of reduced sodium taco seasoning
- It is important to use reduced sodium, otherwise the burgers will be overly salty.
- sour cream
- salsa verde
- Salsa verde is a delicious salsa, it’s very thin and light in flavor. I use a mild one here, but you can use a spicier one if you prefer. You can also use regular traditional salsa instead.
- reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
- hamburger buns
- lime juice
- kosher salt and pepper
How to make taco burgers with pico de gallo
To make this recipe, there’s a few steps:
- the burger patties
- the pico de gallo
- the sauce
But the good news is, each step is super easy!
Making the burger patties
To make the taco burger patties, simply add the ground beef and taco seasoning to a mixing bowl. Mix them together using your hands, and then form them into four equal-sized patties. To prevent my burgers from puffing up, I create a small divot at the center of each burger patty.
Cook the burgers over medium high heat for about five minutes per side, or until cooked to your desired internal temperature. Then, add 2 tablespoons of cheese on top of each burger patty, and cover the pan so that the cheese melts. Then, set the patties aside for assembly.
Making the pico de gallo and the sauce
To make this fresh pico de gallo, start by cutting your tomatoes and scooping the insides out. I like removing the insides of tomatoes because it tends to water down the dish. Instead, I like to use the outer part of the tomato, which is firm and can hold up to other ingredients. Chop the tomato, and then chop the onion and cilantro. Combine all the ingredients, including the lime juice and salt, and set aside for later.
To make the sauce, simply combine the sour cream and the salsa verde, and mix well.
Assembling the burgers
To assemble the burgers, spread 2 tablespoons of the sauce on each burger bun, and then layer the burger patty and the pico on top. You can also serve these burgers bun-less and over a bed of greens, with the toppings on the side.
Taco Burgers with Pico de Gallo
- grill pan
- 1 lb extra lean 96/4 ground beef
- 1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
Toppings and Fixings
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend cheese, or reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns
Pico de Gallo
- 1.5 cups tomato, fresh, insides and seeds scooped out
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Add the beef to a mixing bowl with the taco seasoning.
- Mix with your hands. Form into four patties.
- Grill the patties, about 5 minutes per side over medium high heat, or until cooked to your liking.
- Top each burger with 2 tbsp of cheese, cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese.
- Combine the salsa verde with the sour cream, salt and pepper, to form the dressing for the burgers and set aside until ready.
- Scoop the insides of the tomatoes out, and chop the firmer outsides (should yield 1.5 cups of diced tomato).
- Dice the red onion and cilantro and add it to the tomatoes.
- Add the lime juice and salt, stir to combine.
- To assemble the burgers, add 2 tbsp of the dressing to the top and bottom of each bun, and then place one burger patty with cheese on each bun. Top with the pico, or serve the pico on the side to prevent a soggy bun.
- 8 WW points (all plans)
You might also enjoy these delicious burgers – here is a variety of burgers, including beef, chicken and turkey burgers of all flavor profiles: