A classic chicken recipe, Cordon Bleu, is transformed into an easy weeknight dinner in the form of a burger. These cordon bleu chicken burgers feature lean ground chicken flavored with classic seasonings, and then topped with the classic ham and Swiss cheese. The finishing touch for these burgers is a homemade honey mustard dressing. Piled on top of a hamburger bun with fresh lettuce, these burgers are reminiscent of classic cordon bleu, but made in minutes.
All about these cordon bleu chicken burgers
These burgers have all the classic flavorings of chicken cordon bleu, which is a recipe that involves breaded chicken breast wrapped around ham and cheese. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods (check out my recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu Rollups). The idea came to me for this recipe when I went shopping for my weekly groceries: I wanted to make burgers one night, and I wanted to make chicken cordon bleu another night. When I picked up the package of ham, I realized… why don’t I try to make a cordon bleu burger?
My first thought was to make a beef burger, but I decided that making a chicken burger would help keep the flavor profile more true to the original recipe for Cordon Bleu.
The chicken patties are mixed with sautéed shallots and garlic, as well as poultry seasoning, kosher salt, and ground mustard to echo the other flavors in the dish. Piled on top of the burger patties is sliced ham, melty Swiss cheese, and finally, a homemade honey mustard dressing with a yogurt base.
I love the addition of the creamy honey mustard dressing in this recipe to highlight the other flavors, without competing with them.
What I used to make this recipe
Here is a list of the specific ingredients I used to make this recipe:
- 99% fat free ground chicken
- This is simply ground chicken breast. You can make your own by throwing 1 lb of chicken breast into a food processor, which is what I did here. This can be a more economical alternative to buying ground chicken breast, and typically chicken breast is easier to find in stores than ground chicken breast.
- poultry seasoning
- kosher salt
- ground mustard
- fresh cracked pepper
- large shallot
- garlic cloves
- non-fat Greek yogurt
- Dijon mustard
- ham slices
- light Swiss cheese
- I like this brand, but have also used Sargento Ultra Thin Swiss Cheese slices.
How to make chicken cordon bleu burgers
Making the patties
To make these burgers, the first step is to flavor the ground chicken. As noted above, you can make your own ground chicken by simply putting chicken breast into a food processor, which is what I did here.
Next, slice the shallots and mince the garlic. Add the shallots to a small frying pan with olive oil spray, and cook them for about 5 minutes or until just tender. Next, add the minced garlic and sauté the garlic for just 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Set the shallots and garlic aside to cool.
In the meantime, add the ground chicken to a mixing bowl with the poultry seasoning, salt, and ground mustard. Once the shallots and garlic are cooled, add those to the meat.
Using your hands, combine the ingredients into a cohesive mixture. Then, divide the mixture into four equal-sized patties (about 4.25-4.5 ounces each).
Cooking the patties
Preheat a grill pan (or you can use a frying pan) over medium high heat. Spray the pan with olive oil spray, and add the chicken patties. Cook them for a few minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Next, remove the patties from the grill, and add the ham to the grill just to heat it through and get some grill marks on the ham. Top the patties with the ham and swiss, and cover with foil to melt the cheese. You can also return the patties to the grill to melt the cheese.
Making the honey mustard dressing
To make the honey mustard dressing, combine the yogurt with the Dijon mustard and honey. Each burger gets 2 tablespoons of dressing. To build the burgers, add the dressing to each bun, and then top with the patties. The patties will include the ham and cheese; and then add some fresh lettuce for crunch.
Cordon Bleu Chicken Burgers
- grill pan or frying pan
- 1 lb 99% fat free ground chicken breast
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 shallot, large
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 oz ham, lean, deli-sliced
- 4 slices light swiss cheese, ex: Jarlsberg, Sargento
- Thinly slice the shallot.
- Preheat a small frying pan over medium high heat, and spray olive oil.
- Add the shallot to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Mince the garlic and add that to the frying pan with the shallot.
- Cook the garlic for another minute or until fragrant.
- Remove the cooked shallot and garlic from the pan and place into a mixing bowl.
- In the same mixing bowl, add the chicken, poultry seasoning, kosher salt, ground mustard and pepper.
- Mix the meat so that all ingredients combine. Form 4 equal sized burger patties.
- Cook the patties on the grill pan for a couple of minutes per side, or until the internal temperature is 165F.
- Remove the patties from the grill and place on a plate to the side.
- Sear the pieces of ham on the grill pan to get grill marks.
- Add the ham and cheese slices to the top of the patties, and cover with foil for the cheese to melt.
- Combine the yogurt, Dijon and honey together to form the honey mustard.
- Assemble the burgers as follows: 1 bun, 2 tbsp of honey mustard, lettuce, and a patty with ham and cheese.
- 8 WW points (including a 4 point bun) - Green Plan
- 6 WW points (including a 4 point bun) - Blue and Purple Plans
You might also enjoy these burger recipes: