These healthy air fried Asian glazed chicken burgers with slaw are delicious, easy to make, and perfect for an easy weeknight meal or better yet: game day! Ground chicken breast is mixed with flavorful spices and air fried quickly for a crispy outside and juicy inside; piled high on a potato bun with a bright and crunchy slaw, these burgers are flavorful and packed with texture and crunch. If you are looking for a healthy but fun meal to serve that feels indulgent, this is it!
All about these healthy air fried Asian glazed chicken burgers with slaw
These burgers are flavorful and delicious. They are flavored with Asian-inspired ingredients, like garlic, ginger and scallions. The glaze that coats the burgers is packed with flavor from soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic and ginger. Topped with sesame seeds, these burgers are delicious on their own, but even better when piled high on a potato roll with a flavorful, crisp slaw.
The slaw is made with shredded cabbage and carrots, and flavored with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a pinch of sugar for some sweetness.
Together, this burger is moist and juicy, topped with a crisp and refreshing slaw, and sits on top of a soft and subtly sweet bun. I love using potato rolls for this recipe because their slight sweetness is the perfect contrast to the other flavors in the burger and slaw.
What will I need to make these healthy air fried Asian glazed chicken burgers with slaw?
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- ground chicken breast
- This is sold as 98-99% fat free ground chicken.
- If you can not find this in your store, you can simply add chicken breast to a food processor.
- panko breadcrumbs
- garlic cloves
- kosher salt
- ground ginger
- hoisin sauce
- If you have never used Hoisin sauce, according to Wikipedia it is described as “thick, fragrant sauce commonly used in Cantonese cuisine as a glaze for meat, an addition to stir fry, or as dipping sauce. It is darkly-colored in appearance and sweet and salty in taste.”
- low sodium soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- corn starch
- ginger paste
- I use the squeeze tube of ginger I find in the produce section of the grocery store; if you can’t find that, you can use fresh ginger root.
- purple cabbage
- shredded carrots
- sesame seeds
- potato rolls
- My favorite potato buns (of all time, for any burger) are these Martin’s Famous Potato Rolls and Bread
- I love using potato rolls here, because their subtle sweetness and soft texture are the perfect balance with the Asian inspired flavors and crunchy slaw.
How to make these air fried chicken burgers
There are a few steps to this recipe, but the recipe comes together so quickly! This recipe is made entirely in the air fryer. If you do not have an air fryer, you can easily cook these traditionally in a pan. If you are looking for a good quality air fryer, this is the one I love from Gowise: Gowise Air Fryer
How to make the burger patties
Mix the burger patty ingredients together and form four equal-sized patties. Spray the basket of an air fryer with non-stick cooking spray. Add the patties to the basket and air fry at 375F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
Making the glaze
Combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan, and simmer over medium heat for five minutes. Set aside.
Making the slaw and assembling the burgers
Combine the slaw ingredients in a mixing bowl. Brush the cooked chicken patties with the glaze, and top with the sesame seeds. Top each potato roll with a cooked, glazed patty and the slaw.
Healthy Air Fried Asian Glazed Chicken Burgers with Slaw
- air fryer
- mixing bowl
- small saucepan
- 1 lb ground chicken breast 98-99% fat free ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp corn starch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 potato rolls I used: Martin's
- sesame seeds
- Combine the burger patty ingredients and form into four equal-sized patties.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and place the patties onto the basket.
- Air fry at 375F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Remove from the air fryer and set aside.
- While the patties are cooking, make the glaze.
- Add the corn starch to the water to dissolve, and add it to a small sauce pan along with the other glaze ingredients.
- Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened and syrupy, then set aside.
- Brush the cooked patties with the glaze and garnish with sesame seeds.
- Add the cabbage and carrots to a mixing bowl, and combine the other slaw ingredients.
- Toss together.
- Place each glazed burger patty on a roll, and top with the slaw.
- 8 WW points (blue and purple plans, including bun)
- 10 WW points (green plan, including bun)
You might also enjoy these recipes: