Using the air fryer
- Use your convection feature (if you have one) which will help mimic the air circulation that the air fryer offers.
- Place a wire rack on top of the baking sheet to create space underneath the food; this also helps mimic the air frying technique.
If you are in the market for an air fryer, this is the one I use: Gowise Air Fryer.
What will I need to make air fried shrimp with spicy mayo?
This recipe is just for the air fried panko shrimp and spicy mayo, so to make that, you will need the following:
- corn starch
- panko breadcrumbs (plain)
- egg whites
- garlic powder
- ground ginger
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- chopped scallions (for garnish)
- light mayo
- lime juice
To build a bowl like the one shown, you will also need:
- cooked rice
- Persian cucumbers
- sesame oil
- mixed greens
- rice wine vinegar
- soy sauce
How to make air fried panko shrimp with spicy mayo
All about the shrimp
The first step for this recipe is to get your shrimp cleaned and deveined (and defrosted, if they are frozen). Make sure you are using raw shrimp for this recipe. Either fresh or frozen will work perfectly here.
If you have never cleaned shrimp before, don’t worry: it’s so easy. It’s not the most exciting part of this recipe, but it’s definitely not difficult. Here is a quick video on how to clean shrimp. You can also ask the fishmonger to clean them for you if you are buying fresh shrimp.
If you are buying frozen shrimp, you most likely will have to peel and devein the shrimp. It can be a bit tedious, but it’s very easy to do, I promise. Otherwise, if you are buying fresh shrimp, you can ask the fishmonger to clean the shrimp for you.
This recipe calls for 1 lb of shrimp, and the size of the shrimp really doesn’t matter. I happened to use a super jumbo size variety, since it’s what I had in my freezer at the time, but it really doesn’t matter.
Cooking the shrimp
To make this recipe, start off by setting up your dredging station, with a bowl for the egg whites and a bowl for the panko.
Season the panko with the ginger and garlic powder. Next, toss your cleaned shrimp (patted dry) i the corn starch, followed by the egg whites, and finally, into the panko.
Spray the basket of your air fryer with cooking spray, and place a layer of the shrimp down, and then spray with more cooking spray. Air fry the shrimp at 400F for about 15 minutes (flipping halfway and spraying again).
The spicy mayo
To make the spicy mayo, simply combine the mayo, sriracha and lime juice together in a small bowl. Drizzle it over each portion of the cooked shrimp.
How to serve this dish
To serve this dish, I recommend serving it bowl style with your favorite rice, your veggies of choice (I like to use sliced cucumber), mixed greens, and avocado. When you combine all of these flavor profiles along with the shrimp and spicy mayo, it is reminiscent of a poke bowl. So many wonderful flavors and textures happening!
For the rice
I like using frozen, pre-cooked white or brown rice. It makes the assembly for this bowl so quick and easy. Just microwave it and portion it out, no mess and no fuss!
To assemble the cucumbers
For the cucumber salad, I slice four mini Persian cucumbers (leaving the skin on), and then toss them with about a teaspoon of sesame oil, and a splash of rice wine vinegar and a splash of soy sauce (this can all be done to your taste preference). Finish the cucumbers off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- a bed of mixed greens (you can season this with some rice wine vinegar)
- sliced avocado
Air Fried Panko Shrimp with Spicy Mayo
- air fryer
- 1 lb peeled deveined shrimp
- ½ tablespoon corn starch
- 1.25 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup egg whites
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- sesame seeds and chopped scallions for garnish
- 2 tablespoons light mayo
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- splash of lime juice
- Season the breadcrumbs with the garlic and ginger.
- Dredge the shrimp into the corn starch, then into the egg white, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Spray the air fryer basket and place the shrimp in.
- Spray the tops with more cooking spray.
- Air fry at 400 for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through and spraying again.
- Combine the mayo, sriracha, and lime juice to make the spicy mayo.
- 4 WW points (green plan)
- 3 WW points (blue and purple plans)
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like: