Sweet Corn Crab Cakes with Lemon Dijon Dipping Sauce: Traditional crab cakes, air fried and lightened up with the extra crunch of sweet corn kernels.
All about these sweet corn crab cakes
These crab cakes are very traditional, but the addition of sweet corn kernels really adds an extra element of flavor. These crab cakes are air fried; even though this recipe doesn’t call for oil or butter, it’s not lacking in flavor. Mix jumbo lump crab meat with panko breadcrumbs, an egg, almond milk, sweet corn kernels, scallions, and seasoned salt. Air fry these crab cakes for a crispy outside texture and tender inside. The lemon dijon dipping sauce adds an extra level of flavor to this already-delicious dish. Serve these as an appetizer, or pair these with potatoes and a vegetable for a delicious and filling main course.
What you’ll need to make sweet corn crab cakes
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- jumbo lump crab meat
- panko breadcrumbs
- sweet corn kernels (frozen or canned works fine here), my favorite corn is frozen corn from Trader Joe’s
- an egg
- almond milk
- a lemon
- seasoned salt
- light mayo
- dijon mustard
How to make sweet corn crab cakes
Crab a mixing bowl and get to work! All you need to do is combine the lump crab meat, corn, egg, milk, the zest of a lemon, seasoned salt, and chopped scallions. I find that using my hand as a mixer works best here, similar to mixing burger meat.
Mix the ingredients thoroughly, and then form equal-sized balls. They should be approximately 1/2 cup each in size. Once you form balls with the mixture, press them to form patties and place them to the side on a plate or cutting board.
Spray the basket of your air fryer with cooking spray; for a recipe like this, I like using olive oil spray or avocado oil spray. Working in batches, gently transfer three of the patties to the air fryer basket. Spray the tops again with your cooking spray. Air fry at 400F for 15 minutes. Flip the patties halfway and spray the tops again.
What if I don’t have an air fryer?
Any recipe that calls for an air fryer can be done in a convection oven as well- same time and temperature guidelines apply.
Making the dipping sauce and serving
To make the dipping sauce, combine the light mayo, dijon, and the juice of the lemon. Whisk together to combine thoroughly. To serve, place the crab cakes on a platter lined with mixed greens, and drizzle the dipping sauce on top. Or, if you prefer, you can arrange the crab cakes on a platter and serve the dipping sauce in the middle.
Sweet Corn Crab Cakes
- air fryer
- mixing bowl
- 16 oz lump crab meat
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs plain, unseasoned
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels canned or frozen; if using frozen, make sure you defrost it fully
- 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 lemon zested
- 1/3 cup light mayo
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 lemon juiced
- Combine the crab meat, drained corn, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, seasoned salt, lemon zest, and scallions in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together using your hands.
- Form six equal-sized balls of the mixture, approximately 1/2 cup each in size.
- Flatten each ball to form patties.
- Working in batches, spray the basket of your air fryer with cooking spray and place three of the patties in the basket.
- Spray the tops with more cooking spray and air fry at 400F for 15 minutes, flipping halfway, spraying again.
- Repeat this process with the second batch.
- If using the oven, use the same temperature and time guidelines.
- Combine the mayo, dijon, and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk together.
- Drizzle on top of the crab cakes or serve alongside for dipping.
If you like crab, check these other crab recipes out: