These grilled vegetable hummus wraps are a great meatless option for a healthy and nutrient-rich lunch. Marinated grilled zucchini and red onion are the star of this wrap, paired with hummus and melty cheese to create a flavorful and texture-packed wrap. Served in a tasty lavash wrap and then grilled for extra flavor, these grilled vegetable hummus wraps are a flavorful but super easy lunch to prepare. Cook the vegetables once, and you can have an easy to make lunch all week long.
What you will need to prepare grilled vegetable hummus wraps
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to prepare this flavorful lunch:
- lavash wraps
- I used this brand. One serving is 1/2 of a lavash. They have perforated edges which make it easy to portion out.
- Any brand or flavor hummus would work well here. You can use a variety like a roasted garlic, roasted red pepper, or other flavor combinations to add even more flavor to this wrap.
- I used this brand of hummus, and the original flavor.
- fresh zucchini
- red onion
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Italian seasoning
- kosher salt
- reduced fat mozzarella
A healthy vegetarian option for lunch
Grilled vegetable hummus wraps are a great, healthy vegetarian option for lunch. I am guilty of having meat in basically every meal of the day on most days; I often get asked to show my vegetarian or vegan options.
While this recipe is not vegan, it is vegetarian. When I was creating this recipe, my goal was to create a flavorful wrap that wouldn’t make me miss the meat. To do that, I made sure to really stuff the wrap full of flavor, everything form the marinated grilled vegetables (flavored with balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil, and Italian seasoning), to nutritious hummus, to melty mozzarella. All of the components together create a really flavorful lunch that I will actually look forward to enjoying.
The other goal I had was to make sure this wrap was filling, without the extra protein that meat provides. To do that, I incorporated hummus, which is a flavorful spread made with chickpeas. Chickpeas have lots of health benefits and are packed with protein and fiber.
How to make grilled vegetable hummus wraps
To make these wraps, start off by marinating the vegetables. To make the marinade, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Italian seasoning and kosher salt. Whisk the ingredients together.
Trim the ends off the zucchini and then slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4″ slices. Peel the onion and slice it into four slices. Pour the marinade into a shallow bowl and toss the zucchini slices in the marinade; gently toss the onion in the marinade also, careful not to break the onion apart.
Once you remove the vegetables from the marinade, reserve the marinade for later.
Grill the vegetables (I used an outdoor grill, but you can use a grill pan to do this as well). Cook the vegetables for about five minutes per side, or until they are tender and have grill marks. Then, remove the vegetables from the grill and toss them in the reserved marinade.
To assemble the wraps, add 2 tablespoons of hummus to eat wrap, and spread the hummus to cover the wrap. Next, sprinkle 1/2 ounce of the mozzarella on each wrap. Then, add the vegetables and roll it up.
I also toasted the wraps in a frying pan with cooking spray, seam side down. This allows the wrap to crisp up and get a crunchy exterior.
How to meal prep these grilled vegetable hummus wraps
I do not suggest making all of the wraps in advance; instead, simply marinate and grill the vegetables, and keep them in an air tight container in the fridge. You can also portion out the other ingredients to make your assembly during the week that much easier. If you are heading to the office, you can pack the individual ingredients separately and assemble quickly at work. You can heat everything in a toaster oven or microwave in a pinch, also.
You can also prep the wraps, wrap them in foil and freeze them for the week. To defrost, quickly microwave an individual wrap to take the chill off, and then pop the wrap in the air fryer or toaster oven to crisp up.
Grilled Vegetable Hummus Wraps
- grill or grill pan
- 4 lavash wraps 2 lavash wraps split in half (perforated edges)
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 2 zucchini medium-sized
- 1 red onion large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 oz reduced fat mozzarella
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Italian seasoning, and salt to form a marinade.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini off. Slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" slices.
- Peel the onion and slice it into 4 thick rounds.
- Toss the zucchini in the marinade. Gently toss the onion rounds in the marinade, careful not to break the onion rings apart.
- Grill the vegetables for about 5 minutes per side over medium heat, or until tender and grill marks form. Reserve the extra marinade in the bowl.
- Remove the grilled vegetables from the grill, and toss them again in the reserved marinade.
- To assemble the wraps, spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on each lavash. Sprinkle with 1/2 ounce of the mozzarella. Top with the grilled vegetables.
- Roll the wrap up, and place the wrap in a preheated, sprayed frying pan (or the same grill pan as you used earlier) seam side down.
- Toast the wrap for about 2 minutes per side over medium heat.
- Note: for meal prep, portion the ingredients out for easy access, but assemble right before eating to avoid a mushy wrap.
- Note: you can freeze these wraps individually; wrap each wrap in foil and freeze. To defrost, microwave the wrap for 1-2 minutes and then crisp up in the air fryer or toaster oven.
- 6 WW points per wrap (all plans)
You might also enjoy these recipes featuring grilled vegetables: