I love a good shrimp recipe, but a bacon-wrapped shrimp recipe? Sign me up! This bacon wrapped shrimp with maple butter is so easy to prepare, but bursting with flavor. Fresh shrimp are seasoned, wrapped with center cut bacon, and roasted to perfection. To serve, they are drizzled with a delicious combination of maple syrup and butter. What could be better?
What will I need to make this recipe?
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this recipe:
- uncooked shrimp
- The shrimp must be uncooked for this recipe; if you use pre-cooked shrimp, they will overcook when they cook with the bacon.
- For this recipe, I used Argentinian Red Shrimp from Trader Joe’s. They come frozen, but they come cleaned, deveined, and without shells. These shrimp are great to keep on hand in the freezer.
- center cut bacon
- Center cut bacon is just like regular pork bacon, but it has less fat on it. Therefore, it is lower in fat and calories than traditional bacon.
- I do not recommend using turkey bacon for this recipe.
- kosher salt
- ground mustard
- onion powder
- maple syrup
- I use real maple syrup for this recipe, because we are looking for that sweetness and depth of flavor.
- I do not recommend using sugar free syrup, unless you have to.
- light butter
- I use this from Land ‘o Lakes kitchen – light butter with canola oil.
How to make bacon wrapped shrimp with maple butter
To make this recipe, start off by preheating your oven to 400F. Tip: soak your wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes prior to cooking to avoid burning (notice, I didn’t do that here!)
Depending on the size of your shrimp, your skewers will have different amounts of shrimp per serving (if you have larger shrimp, you might only have five shrimp per skewer, versus smaller shrimp, where you might have up to eight). You’ll notice on each bag of shrimp, there is a count – my shrimp count was 20/25, which means that for every pound of shrimp, you will get anywhere from 20-25 pieces of shrimp. My skewers, therefore, each had six shrimp on them.
After your shrimp is cleaned, pat it dry with a paper towel. Mix your seasonings together, and rub it all over the shrimp so they are coated on both sides.
To wrap each shrimp in bacon, I cut each slice of bacon into three equal pieces. If you have smaller shrimp, you can cut your bacon into four pieces. Or if you have really large shrimp, cut each slice of bacon in half. Make sure to do the math to ensure you end up with enough bacon for your shrimp, and adjust your stats accordingly.
Wrap each shrimp in a piece of bacon, and secure it through the skewer. Skewer the remaining shrimp and set aside.
Line a small baking sheet with foil, and lay the skewers across. Mine were longer than the baking sheet, so my shrimp skewers were slightly elevated from the bottom of the baking sheet. This worked out well! You can lay yours down flat, though. Whatever works.
Bake the shrimp at 400F for 15 minutes. Then, broil for 2 minutes on one side, flip, and broil for another 2 minutes on the other side.
Meanwhile, prepare the maple butter by combining the maple syrup and the butter in a small bowl. Microwave it for a minute to melt the butter. Plate the shrimp and pour the maple butter on top. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make this in the air fryer?
The short answer: yes! You can really use your air fryer for most recipes that use an oven. I haven’t tested this recipe in the air fryer, but my Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Stuffed Chicken is made in the air fryer and works out beautifully! I would use 400F as the temperature, and keep your eye on them by checking on them every so often.
What should I serve this with?
This recipe is great with a vegetable like asparagus, and a potato or a salad. One of my go-to potato recipes is my Easy Smashed Potatoes – simple and delicious, perfect for a weeknight meal.
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Maple Butter
- baking sheet
- 1 lb shrimp peeled, deveined
- 8 slices center cut bacon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp light butter
- optional: herbs for garnish
- Tip: soak your wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes prior to cooking to avoid burning (notice, I didn't do that here!)
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Pat the shrimp dry.
- Combine the paprika, onion powder, ground mustard, and salt.
- Season the shrimp with the spices.
- To wrap 24 pieces of shrimp (typical for one pound of large 20-24 count shrimp): cut each bacon slice into 3rds. To wrap more or less shrimp, cut your bacon smaller, or larger, respectively.
- Wrap each shrimp with a cut piece of bacon, and secure with the skewer; keep the bacon in place around the shrimp by using the skewer.
- Skewer equal amounts of wrapped shrimp onto each skewer.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and lay the skewers on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil, and broil for 2 minutes. Flip, and broil for another 2 minutes,
- Combine the maple syrup and the butter in a small bowl. Microwave to melt the butter.
- Plate the shrimp and pour the maple butter on top.
- Garnish with herbs, if desired.
- 6 WW points per skewer (green plan)
- 4 WW points per skewer (blue and purple plans)
You might also enjoy these similar recipes: