Change up your typical side dish and make prosciutto-wrapped asparagus instead! Fresh asparagus spears are wrapped in prosciutto slices and grilled until tender; topped with a creamy lemony honey mustard dressing, this asparagus recipe offer a salty and savory bite. These are pretty enough to serve to guests, but simple enough to make mid-week for the family. Low calorie and made with all real ingredients, this is a healthy and fun side dish.
The perfect side dish
This asparagus side dish is a delicious twist on a traditional side dish of roasted or grilled asparagus. Wrapped with salty prosciutto, the end result is a savory and crispy version of asparagus, with flavor in each bite. The delicious creamy honey mustard and lemon sauce is perfect either drizzled on top, or served on the side for dipping.
Serve this side dish with any of your favorite main courses; but it pairs perfectly with a simple grilled steak or piece of chicken or fish, or a roast like The Best-Ever Roast Beef.
What is prosciutto? Can I use ham?
Prosciutto is Italian uncooked, unsmoked, dry-cured ham. It is extremely thinly sliced, and mostly served in its pure stare (crudo). However, I love using prosciutto to flavor dishes, because when it is cooked, it releases even more of its salty and savory flavor. It also becomes very crispy because of how thin it is sliced typically. It makes for the perfect ingredient to wrap around asparagus for this reason.
I do not recommend using ham or bacon to replace the prosciutto here. If you would rather use bacon, you can refer to this recipe instead: Roasted Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus.
Prosciutto has a really delicate and specific flavor that sets it apart from other pork products, and for this reason I feel it is the perfect ingredient for this dish. The saltiness is offset by the bright and creamy dressing served alongside.
What you’ll need to make prosciutto-wrapped asparagus
- You can use either prosciutto or prosciutto di parma, whichever you can find.
- I use this brand.
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil spray
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- This ingredient is what makes the sauce creamy. You do not taste the yogurt at all, with the addition of the honey mustard and honey. The yogurt purely offers a creaminess for the sauce.
- lemon (zest and juice)
- Lemon zest and juice adds brightness to the sauce and brings out the other flavors.
- honey mustard
- This ingredient offers a slightly sweet and tangy taste to the sauce, to give it extra flavor.
- Honey acts as a natural sweetener for the creamy sauce. You can also use maple syrup if you prefer.
How to make prosciutto-wrapped asparagus
This recipe is beyond easy to make; in fact, it’s almost as simple as the name implies. To begin, tear each piece of prosciutto in half lengthwise (meaning, each piece of asparagus will be wrapped with half a piece of prosciutto). Trim the woody edges off of the asparagus (note: if you hold the asparagus and bend it, it will snap where it should be cut to get rid of the woody ends). Wrap each piece of prosciutto around each asparagus spear. Next, heat a grill pan over medium heat and season each spear with a pinch of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Spray the grill pan with olive oil spray, and cook the asparagus for a total of 10 minutes. Make sure to rotate the asparagus spears frequently, so that the prosciutto becomes golden brown and the asparagus becomes tender. Remove from the pan and plate the asparagus. (They are great served this way, or with the sauce).
To make the sauce, simply whisk the sauce ingredients together (the yogurt, the lemon zest and juice, the honey mustard and the honey). Drizzle the sauce on top of the platter, or serve it alongside the asparagus for dipping.
What is the serving size for prosciutto-wrapped asparagus?
The serving size for this recipe is totally up to you! The WW points and macros included below are for 1 piece, that way you can determine how many you prefer to eat. I would estimate that this recipe is appropriate to serve to 4 people, at 4 pieces of asparagus each, including the sauce, either drizzled or used for dipping. But again, the serving size is totally up to you! Enjoy!
- grill pan
- 1 bundle asparagus appx 16 asparagus spears
- 4 oz prosciutto about 8 pieces
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil spray
- 2 tbsp plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp honey mustard
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- Tear each piece of prosciutto in half lengthwise.
- Trim the ends off of the asparagus spears.
- Wrap each half piece of prosciutto around each asparagus spear.
- Lightly season the asparagus with a pinch of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Add olive oil spray to a grill pan over medium heat, and cook the asparagus for about 10 minutes total, rotating frequently.
- Make sure the prosciutto is evenly browned and the asparagus is tender.
- Combine the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, honey mustard and honey in a small bowl.
- Plate the cooked asparagus and drizzle with the dressing, or serve alongside for dipping.
- 1 WW point per asparagus spear
You might also enjoy these asparagus dishes: